So, it’s been a while since I posted. I apologize for that. But it has been a great summer on the theater front, hasn’t it? In Fresno there was a whirlwind of terrific theater happening- from new musicals, to literary classics, to my own company’s production of a little known title that turned out to be a huge hit. . . it’s a great time to do theater in the San Joaquin Valley.
But it’s also hard to do theater in the SJV. But if it weren’t hard, I guess everyone would do it, eh?
Anyways, while I haven’t been writing, I have been reading a lot and blog posts have been percolating in the back of my brain. A few ideas:
- Reading lists for those looking to expand their repertoire of drama.
- What is ‘theatricality’?
- Are we artists or are we entertainers? (We all know the answer: it’s BOTH!)
- Why is ‘vision’ so important for directors?
- Should there be fewer theaters or more? (The head of the NEA says “fewer”, by the way.)
- Is there value in having local awards? Even awards within a single company?
- The importance of choosing plays with the space in mind- and using the space with the play in mind.
- What defines an “Independent” theater?
Yeah, this is the kind of nonsense the runs through my head pretty frequently- even when I’m NOT working on a show.
In the meantime, here are a few articles I found of interest recently:
Fringe: The Definition of the Term
2AMt – and if you don’t know what 2AMt is for– go to the site, figure it out, and follow it.